knitlosophy

knitlosophy

Friday, October 17, 2008

Scarves

Over the last couple of weeks, I have found the need to "quiet my mind" after the kids have gone to bed. As much as I'd rather have a stiff drink, the thought of drinking alone depresses me even more. Needless to say, I have turned to one of my good ole granny hobbies, crocheting. Whether they know it or not, everyone I know is getting something crocheted for Christmas. Most are getting scarves, frankly because they are easy, quick and don't require much yarn. I seem to have inherited quite an assorted variety of yarn over the last couple of years. Sadly, most of it is in small quantities and unless I want to make a "scrappy" afghan, I have to find other uses. So, I figured "Why not take advantage of the season and holiday to come, right?". I sat down and made a mental list of all the projects I could make...scarves, hats, mittens, gloves, fingerless gloves (the boys each want a pair of them), shrugs, short wraps, pillows, etc etc. Every night (or so it seems), I am up until about 12:30 am, sitting on my couch crocheting something different. No real thought required, just counting. It's my escape from reality. Don't have to worry about the future or the size of my next paycheck. I don't have to ponder whether the self serving, assinine jackass I divorced will ever call or be responsible enough to EVER pay child support again. Nope, none of that. Just me and my project, mind numbingly counting away. Now, I just have to figure out what to make for each person. That is my most daunting task and I'll probably be down to the wire on that one.

No comments: