knitlosophy

knitlosophy

Monday, November 3, 2008

Cereal.... One and a Half Feet Under

I planned on having a garden next year but now I must rethink my planting strategies. I now have cereal buried in my yard, Cocoa Pebbles to be precise. Saturday night, around nine thirty, I go out on the porch and ,(like always), my cats come a runnin'. Before I know it, I hear a sickening thunk as a car is passing by. I look out and see some poor animal flailing its legs trying to stand up. Suddenly, it dawns on me that I am minus one cat on the porch. So I start calling for my missing cat at the same time another car hits the now dead animal on the road. I run out, with only socks no shoes, onto the road and determine that the poor formerly flailing creature is one of ours. I pick her up off the road and lay her gently on the grass. It broke my heart to have to tell my daughter. "Why couldn't it have been one of the strays?" she tearfully asked. All I could say as I held my sobbing daughter in my arms is sometimes things happen for a reason even if we don't understand it. Needless to say, I thought it best to bury the cat as soon as possible. It was certainly something I would not suggest. Apparently, as I soon found out, digging a hole in the dark is one thing, but burying something is far more difficult. I couldn't tell til the next day if I had actually covered her up, which I did, but now I have a cat buried in my backyard, her name? Cocoa Pebbles.

No comments: