knitlosophy

knitlosophy

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Questions, questions, questions

First off, I must say I love my daughter. I cannot imagine my life without her. She's always asking questions, pretty much since the first time she could form a coherent sentence. Generally, I can come up with a fairly reasonable explanation. Unfortunately, some of her questions seem to require a more creative answer. For example, "Why do we pee and poop?". The response would have been much easier, (being that I am a science geek), had she been older. She was four then. This was around the same time she wanted to know what a radiator was and why we needed them, why we need bones, what's inside our skin, cheeks, gum, etc.

Nowadays, her questions are of the future. Case in point, one day (at the age of six), she was in the room when I was changing clothes. She asks, "Mommy, when I grow up will I have bigger boobies than you?" The only response I could think of was "Honey, I sure hope so." She also wants to know when she can get a tattoo, a tongue ring, her belly button pierced, change her hair color, etc. This all from an eight year old. I give her the same reply every time and she is not terribly thrilled with it... "When you're eighteen and you can afford to pay for it yourself."

I am not against tattoos, piercings, hair color and all that jazz but if I had to wait to alter my appearance so can she. I have somehow kept it secret from her that I started coloring my hair when I was fourteen and boy was my mom not a happy camper. Of course, it looked atrocious. I mean, dull and @#!* brown but that's what you get when you buy the two dollar stuff with absolutely no conditioner, right? Thankfully, I learned my lesson about conditioner and have become quite selective about what goes on my head. What's sad is when I am washing Fred's hair, she instructs me on how to apply the conditioner. Apparently, she has been reading the back of the bottles and who knows what else but she firmly believes she is a fountain of information when it comes to hair care. Anyone know what I can get her to read in the way of color coordination and fashion sense?

No comments: